Friday, February 12, 2016

Women's Beach Volleyball Q&A: Sarah Seiber

| No Comments | No TrackBacks
A Pepperdine volleyball legacy, junior Sarah Seiber transferred here this year from the University of Arizona. Both her father (Steve Seiber) and mother (Cathy Houston Seiber) played volleyball at Pepperdine. She expresses her excitement about being a part of the Waves family and joining the beach volleyball squad.
Sarah  Seiber
Q: Why did you choose to transfer to Pepperdine?
A: I chose to come to Pepperdine because of the awesome coaching staff here. I am so lucky to be coached by the most amazing people every day. I also wanted to come here because it has been my dream school ever since I was little. I remember coming up here with my parents all the time and just thinking how badly I wanted to be a Wave.
Q: Have your parents told you fond stories of playing for Marv and Nina before you came here?
A: Yes! My dad would always tell me about when they would have to run the sand dunes. Marv would always have a bunch of pizzas waiting for them afterwards. I also know after all these years Marv and Nina still keep in contact with my parents. It shows what kind of people and coaches they are, which I think is great because you don't see that a lot nowadays. 
Q: What's it like being a Pepperdine volleyball legacy?
A: I love it! I love being able to say that my parents not only went here, but were a part of the volleyball programs here! Every time I talk to my parents they always end up reminiscing on times they had up in Malibu. Another cool thing is that my Dad kept a lot of his shirts and gear from when he played, which I have worn around campus. I can't tell you the compliments I have gotten on his shirts from the 1980s. They are so happy I am here and can't wait to cheer us all on in March. 
Q: What sparked your interest in Pepperdine?
A: The environment definitely sparked my interest.  I love the atmosphere here at Pepperdine; it is a lot like how I have been brought up and my style. I just knew I could do really well here from coming to campus so many times for volleyball games and camps. I love Malibu and love representing the school. Ever since I was little I wanted to go here because my parents would always talk about how much they loved it. 
Q: What are you looking forward to most in the upcoming season?
A: I am looking forward to finally getting to compete. We have a very long offseason and such a short playing season! We are all chomping at the bit to start competing against other schools.  
Q: How has practice been going?
A: Really well, we had a big incoming class, including myself, and I think we have all done a great job. We've been learning from not only from our coaches, but our teammates have showed us the ropes on how a great practice runs. 
Q: How is the balance between athletics and academics?
A: I have learned to balance school and volleyball ever since I started playing it. You just have to learn to deal with it, and I've developed a pretty good grasp on making sure I do well in school and on the sand. I always stay ahead on schoolwork, especially on weekends when I have a lot of time to just focus on school. 
Q: What's your favorite thing about practicing at Zuma Beach every day?
A: Being by the ocean again! Being from San Diego, I took for granted the ocean and beach and all it has to offer every day. It was really hard for me to adjust at Arizona without the beach. There is something about the ocean that can always put me in the best of moods! Now being back by the ocean I am thankful every day that I get to be down there. 
Q: What's the most challenging part of joining a new team?
A: The most challenging part for me was learning a lot of new things again. It was like being a freshman again in some ways, but it was good for me. I had to learn how the team culture is because every team has different standards and culture. I wanted to make sure that they all knew I was serious and would do anything for my teammates! 
Q: What is your favorite memory so far with your new teammates?
A: My favorite memory so far is earning all our gear. It seems small, but it was very rewarding. After working so hard with conditioning and practicing for the first month-and-a-half to finally say that we all earned the right to wear and represent the Pepperdine beach team felt so good! Something that small felt so good to earn together.

No comments:

Post a Comment